Saturday 7 October 2023

What is the hardest thing you have ever done? Hand over my friend's Dead Body to his Mother This happened when I was coming back from my college in bus. I got down the bus along with two of my regular bus friends. They take the bus from the same stop as mine. One guy Vivek and a girl Ekta. When we were crossing the road, me and Ekta were talking about some subject and Vivek almost crossed the street, waiting at the other side of the road. Suddenly a guy on a bike came and started waving his bike looking at me and Ekta. He suddenly increased his speed and as he was looking at us, he didn't see that his bike going off the road. In full speed, he hit Vivek who was not even on the road He realized that something wrong has happened, thus he fled away from there. Me and Ekta were shocked to witness the accident. I ran towards Vivek and turned his face. He was shivering due to pain and was unconscious. Blood were coming out of his ear. Ekta started shouting for help and crying at the same time. I ran here and there but there was no one. It was a hot afternoon and there were hardly any vehicle. Then I saw a car and almost jumped in front of it. I asked the guy in the car for help. Without waiting for his reply, I opened his back door and started lifting Vivek to it. He was too heavy for me and Ekta. So, the man helped us and we got him inside the car. We reached the nearest hospital and got him into ICU, but the doctors said that they can't help us because it was an accident case and they referred us to a government hospital which was around 1 hour drive away. We got inside that hospital's ambulance covering Vivek's ear with huge cotton roll. It was drenched with his thick maroon blood and I didn't realize that my college uniform was covered with blood while tears were rolling down my cheeks. We couldn't connect to Vivek's family as his phone was broken and we didn't have any of his family's contact. Anyhow, we reached SMS hospital Jaipur and took him inside. To my surprise, there was no one hurrying to help us. No one was tensed that he might lose his life. We were shouting and running here and there. Finally a compounder asked us to take him to the Emergency. There they gave us more cotton and asked us to wait for the Doctor. However, no one coming. It was like eternity when a nurse came. She checked him and asked me to take him for scan on the 2nd floor. We, two college girls, were pulling the stretcher and holding the cotton. finding a path or a lift to reach the second floor. We were feeling powerless. As if we are no one and our lives cost nothing. No one cares. I was burning with anger but did nothing and waited for the scan to get over. My tears never stopped. I hugged Ekta and was consoling her when her parents came. We took Vivek to emergency again. Ekta's father called someone, who called a doctor, who was a relative. He came in around 20 minutes. Finally, after 3 hours of the accident, a Real Doctor attended my friend. We were asked to go outside the room and there I saw the gallery (hospital compound) full of patients lying on the floor itself. Some were sleeping, some where crying, some recently operated and some waiting for weeks to get treated. Suddenly my tears stopped and instead of blaming the doctors, I got numb. I was thinking too much yet I was thinking Nothing. I was Numb. After 3 more hours, at 9 pm, the doctor told us that Vivek is no more with us. The Dead Body was then taken after some registration. After some paper work, it was sent to Vivek's place. There we saw the widow, who was Vivek's mother. Vivek was the only son and he had a sister who was mentally challenged. His mother was shattered when she saw her only son, who recently made her proud by getting placed in one of the best companies that came to our campus, dead in front of her. I couldn't see anything anymore and went home. Next day all the people, friends and family came to his place. Ekta asked me to reach there but I couldn't. After some time, I walked to his place but stopped at a distance and saw people going in and out and heard mourning sound coming from his home. I sat on rock, hiding my tears and thinking too much too fast. This was the first time I showed some courage. Lifted a guy who was bleeding, saw him shivering out of pain... Blood on my hands and face. It was thick... I could remember a great friend, a great son... I wish I could save him... The hardest part was to realize that this is reality - Death... A woman lost her partner and then her young Son... This is the reality that I don't think that people know... That many people are dying here everyday... Because of hundreds of reasons... This is the reality that I couldn't save his life... The reality is that people have accepted everything... The reality is that even today everything is the same EXCEPT for the life of that mother... EDIT1: Hi everyone, thanks for understanding what I have actually been through. Some people asked me whether I am in touch with the family. Yes! I am in touch with them since that day. It was 2011, May. We have been meeting her mom time to time and my family is in constant touch with them. His sister has been getting timely treatments free of cost from one of our relative who is a well known doctor in Jaipur. There are a great signs of improvement in her. Vivek's mom has opened a creche for small kids, she feels like all of those children are hers, she loves them..... Thanks everyone once again, for understanding me, god bless you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment